Best Elliptical Cross Trainers Machines Compared & Researched
Reviews of top 5 best selling elliptical cross trainers. Buy exercise machine with confident, exercise with even more confident. Tip & tricks on how to use cross trainers, guides on how to buy.
An elliptical cross trainer offers an easy low-impact cardiovascular training. The smooth elliptical movement of the foot-pedals gives minimal risk of injuries on ankle joints, knee, and hips without reducing the efficacy of muscle and calorie-burning exercise. Also unlike a treadmill that focuses the training heavily on lower body strength, elliptical machine has handles designed to engage core muscles too with every push and pull motion of the hands for an all-around muscle toning.
Elliptical Cross Trainers Buying Guide
Find out exact tips on how to buy Elliptical Cross Trainers. Among all exercise equipment you can expect to see in a gym, elliptical cross trainer is one of the most popular. Since the vast majority is stationary model, you probably want one for yourself to use at home. The abundance of options makes it a bit confusing to choose any particular brand or set of features that fits your needs. Here are some things you should consider to narrow down the search.
- Budget: for a lot of people, money is the deciding factor when purchasing home gym equipment. Elliptical cross trainer is also relatively expensive, so make sure you have clear plan on how much money you can spend. Price can range from several hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Training preference: a better model offers certain range of training programs as well. More expensive machine usually offers a training program for high-intensity exercise. However, even a basic machine should serve you well for typical aerobic workout.
- Size: some elliptical machines are bulky that it will fit only in wide enough workout space. The pedals can extend up to a foot or so beyond the main frame, and you will need enough clearance all around the overall dimension of the machine for comfort.
- Workout features: must have exercise features include quiet motion, smooth operation, and adjustable resistance. Variable incline isn’t really necessary but it is nice to be able to adjust the ramps and therefore intensity of the workout.
- Safety features: the actual workout programs are more or less similar in many elliptical cross trainers, but a good machine should provide safety features as well for examples locking pin for the pedals and screen-lock at the very least.
Additional features such as music player or cup holder are not mandatory. They do not affect the way you exercise, but you may need them merely for comfort reasons.
Best Elliptical Cross Trainers Product Lists
Not every elliptical cross trainer machine is created equal. The main consideration here is to choose one that really fits your budget and training style, so it really is about understanding your own preference and needs. That being said, here are 6 of the best products available in the market today.
This machine is designed for home use, but the features and build quality are all inspired by professional-grade models. Multiple training presets are available, allowing you to set the direction of the workout in more personal and practical way.
|1. Adjustable ramp angles
2. Adjustable stride lengths
3. Preset workout programs
4. Lifetime warranty on frame
|1. Custom workout options are missing|
The EFX 222 Fitness Machine is overall an excellent introductory machine for those who want to try elliptical cross trainer and plan to keep on using it. Although categorized for home use, the machine is pretty close to being commercial-grade with its heavy-duty construction and the abundance of training options.
The minimum flywheel weight recommended by experts is 20-pound, and the Schwinn 470 has exactly that. To make the machine even more appealing is the Precision Foot Path Technology, which helps stimulate more natural running position but with much lower impact on the feet. The footplates are wide enough to provide strong comfortable support and the handlebars are ergonomically designed as well.
|1. Heart rate chest strap compatibility
2. 10 percent power incline
3. 25 resistance levels
4. Magnetic braking
5. 29 customizable workout programs
6. Data sharing with fitness apps via Bluetooth
|1. Warranty period is way below average
2. Labor coverage only lasts for 90 days
With all the features it brings, Schwinn 470 is surprisingly quite affordable. You get the kind of quality typically found in much more expensive models. Read more details
Frequently used workout controls are integrated in the handlebars, making the Nautilus E618 more practical. Footplate angle is adjustable to the point where you can get heel support, too. The flywheel is on the hefty side at 30-pound and stride length is also longer than ideal at 22-inch.
|1. 25 resistance options
2. Preset programs for quick exercise start
3. Chest strap is included
4. Built-in tracking app
5. Bluetooth synchronization with fitness apps
6. Cooling fan
|1. The screen is small
2. You get no lifetime warranty
With adjustable resistance levels, preset workout programs, and motorized incline, the Nautilus E618 is nothing short of great value for the money. Check more details about it
For a front-drive elliptical machine, look no further than the BXE216 by Bowflex. The flywheel is 35-pound, a rarity in models of home-grade category. That may not sound like much, but it means the machine is suitable for a person weighing up to 400 pounds.
Wireless heart rate monitoring
Customizable workout programs
Bluetooth data sharing
Tablet holder with USB charger
|No adjustable stride length|
While there are only 11 preset training intensities, Bowflex BXE216 provides custom programs to give you the chance to define highly-personalized training goal.
One thing you cannot overlook from the E35 Elliptical is how well the machine is designed. Not only does it make training easy, but also comfortable with ergonomic placement of every component. There is also height adjustability to make the machine suitable for everyone.
|Adjustable incline to 30 levels
Variable pedal positioning
Wireless heart rate monitoring
The handlebars have built-in resistance controls for instant adjustment without having to fiddle with the main control panel. You can focus on the training rather than the settings.
Constructed from heavy-duty steel, ProForm is one of the sturdiest elliptical cross trainers for home use. The machine delivers smooth operation, durability, and versatility. If there is one thing that it falls short is the stride length, which is only 20-inch, or just an inch shy of the ideal specification recommended by experts.
|Flywheel weighs 32-pound
Compatible with iFit
Preset programs with 35 built-in apps
Heart rate strap included
|iFit subscription is required to store more than one user profile|
With its touchscreen control and web-enabled workout programs, the Pro 12.9 Elliptical is certainly home gym equipment you can enjoy using.
How to Use/Train with an Elliptical Cross Trainer
Although an elliptical machine may appear bulky and overly sophisticated at first glance, it is actually more difficult to assemble the equipment than to use it. Once everything is put together, starting the exercise is very easy. Follow these steps if this is your first time:
- Get into position: grasp the handle first and then put your feet into the pedals one at a time. The pedals move right away so be cautious. Some models have locking pins; make sure to remove them beforehand.
- Start moving: begin the training by pedaling forward. The handlebars also move as you pedal to stimulate natural motion of the body.Anybody can get used to the movement within the first two minutes or less.
- Keep going: stay on the machine and keep moving for 10 – 15 minutes until your body gets used to the general idea of what the machine does.
- Use the adjustable features: utilize the presets first to find one that suits your preference. Try many different built-in programs before you begin tinkering with the custom options (if available).
Bear in mind that every brand has slightly different learning curve. However, if you have been using something similar in the gym for quite a while, you’ll get the idea of what to do and how to improve the workout with the control panel.
Best Selling Elliptical Cross Trainers Lists
- Precor introduced the very first elliptical in1995 and has been the global leader in elliptical manufacturing for over 20 years
- Health club quality workout at home
- Patented design provides a smooth, natural feel and keeps your body in a comfortable, posture-perfect position for the duration of your workouts
- A true cross-trainer with multiple ways to change the exercise to maximize muscle recruitment while building cardio endurance
- See chart below for Precor full line of Precor Ellipticals
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Sync with free downloadable Run Social App and run through 19 locations with 27 routes alongside people from all over the world in real time
- 29 workout programs: 12 profile, 9 heart rate control, 4 custom, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- Dual Track LCD displays, media shelf, in-console speakers with MP3 input port, USB media charging and adjustable fan
- Sport Type: Exercise & Fitness
- Your purchase includes One Nautilus Elliptical Trainer E618
- Elliptical dimensions: 27" W x 73" L x 67" H | Item weight – 210 lbs. | Weight Capacity: 350 lbs. | Ceiling height clearance – Consider the height of the tallest potential user, and add 21 inches minimum
- Raises or lowers the incline from 0-10 degrees at the touch of a button
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with Nautilus Trainer 2 App and RunSocial App allowing you to run through 19 locations with 27 routes alongside people from all over the world in real time
- 29 programs: preset programs for heart rate training, interval training, and weight loss as well as customizable training options | Wireless heart rate chest strap is included (in addition to the contact hand grips) to monitor heart rate
- material_type: Metal
- Experience Interactive Personal Training; 1-year iFit membership included with your elliptical; gain access to on-demand, interactive trainer-led global and studio workout programs
- 7” HD Touchscreen Display streams on-demand iFit workouts directly to your equipment for an immersive fitness experience; Easily track your time, distance, estimated calorie-burn, and pulse
- 24 Levels of Digital Resistance give you total control over every workout; with iFit, your trainer will auto-adjust your resistance to match real-world terrain
- Inertia-Enhanced Flywheel, Digital Quick Incline, and SMR Silent Magnetic Resistance make every motion smooth and consistent; Oversized pedals stabilize your feet
- Multi-Position Upper-Body Grips engage your arms, shoulders, chest, and core for comprehensive cross-training from the comfort of your home
Purchasing an elliptical cross trainer for personal use should not be an easy decision. Think about why you need one and whether the investment is worth the potential benefits. Assuming you are committed to regular training several times a week, then go ahead and get one that fits your preferences. If possible, try several models before buying to test the performance of the equipment, feel the build quality, and use the available features. Make sure everything meets your expectations and the dimension actually fits in your workout space. Any of the aforementioned models is ideal for home use yet each has its own unique features to improve the training.